Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Who says a school calendar isn't fluid?

Here in the UAE, lots of things are done... well, differently. 

For example: People think driving with the hazard lights on means the traffic laws no longer apply to their vehicle. (I've seen people stop IN the roundabout & flip on their hazards... like that makes it okay!!!) 

I've seen people cut the queue (bathrooms, restaurants, & grocery stores) because, well... I'm sure they FEEL more important than everyone else. 

It's socially acceptable to pick your nose in public, but not your teeth... Um. Ew.

Two men (of certain ethnic groups) may hold hands in public, but it's frowned upon if a man & woman do the same. (Side note: Lindsey & I play this little game where we try to hold hands &/or sneak in a kiss IN PUBLIC PLACES! We are such outlaws! LOL!!)

But I digress...
You get the idea... Different. 

So why I am constantly surprised by the frequent & unexpected changes to the school calendar, I don't know. But surprised, I am! 

The printed calendar (I'm beginning to realize) is just a rough guideline... a "best guess" of what to expect for the academic year. 

Oh, I don't fault the schools. They are ever at the mercy of the Education Council & the moon (quite literally). 

We've had holidays shortened or lengthened due to the moon sighting (this usually comes with a few days advance notice, however). 

We found out in late November that the winter break (Christmas break, for us Christians) would be three weeks instead of two. And rumor has it the week has been added back at the end of the year stretching the school year into July. 

Awesome!
Whatever. You just have to roll with it.

Which is why when a kid (not mine, BTW) ran up to me after school saying, "Mrs Williams! Mrs Williams! We get out of school tomorrow at 11 AM!"  I actually believed them... well, sorta. I mean I didn't out right dismiss it as wishful thinking, at least. 

I did what every parent in the school lobby did, practically simultaneously: We brought up our email apps & checked for a calendar update. 

Yup, there it is....


Well what do you know! Huh! 

Half day, it is! Woohoo!!!  At least we got notification (almost) a full 24 hours in advance.

My take on it? I'm happy. Really, I am. 

I don't have to make a single lunch tonight! 

Best. Timed. Notice. Ever. 


No comments:

Post a Comment