Monday, August 18, 2014

Dry & dusty...

Sunday is the first day of the business week here in the EAU. That means all the offices are open & the schools are hard at work getting ready for students. 

I took Lindsey into the office just like any other work day. But, along around 3 pm, the wing picked up. 

I mean it REALLY started blowing....

Here's our view on any given day so far....



And this is what happens when you mix a lot of wind with all the sand around here....


Take a good look at those trees. They are plastered to the left. You can't even see the water anymore. 


Within a few minutes, visibility dropped to a few hundred feet & you couldn't see across the Plaza. 

Lindsey sent me this photo from his office window. 


I was supposed to pick him up at 6 pm, but the concierge suggested I wait a bit. It was crazy windy with no visibility to speak of. 

It did finally start to calm down enough that I felt confident enough to drive. It gets dark here around 7 pm & I just didn't want to add lack of daylight to this already murky conditions. 

The normal 20 minute drive took closer to 30 minutes, but I made it. 

Lindsey brought a water bottle with him & I was glad. The dust lodges in the back of your throat; you can't help but breathe it in. I felt so bad for the day laborers all along the roadsides. They had their head scarves wrapped in such a way that only a small slit for their eyes was visible. 

It took a few hours for the dust storm to completely clear. It has left everything -- I mean EVERYTHING -- coated in a very fine layer of sand colored dust; it's like a fine dusting of talcum powder on everything. 

Surprisingly, the streets don't seem to be greatly affected. They don't have large amounts of sand piled along the edges or between the lanes, as I expected this morning.

It was my first sand storm & we weathered it well.... But, honestly, I'd take a good ol' fashioned Texas thunderstorm instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment