Wednesday, August 27, 2014

So 3 kids & a camel walk into a Souk...

After a late start this morning, we drove over to Al Wahda Mall to do some school supply shopping at our favorite superstore, LuLu's. 

It was a long tedious process because the list was so vague no one knew for certain what we needed. The store had a large selection of everything but, when the list calls for "small square graph paper".... Um, how small? There were 4 choices ranging from large to micro. How small is "small"? And, do I get the loose leaf paper or the tablet? In a spiral? Perhaps hole punched... 2 holes or 4? 

We had a similar problem with "binder with lined paper & 5 dividers". Does this mean a five subject spiral notebook or an actual office binder and dividers? And what size? In binders, you can get A4 or A5. In bound or spiral notebooks, you can get A4, A5, or A6.  Regular ruled paper or college ruled paper? And, if it is an actual binder, 2 rings or 4? 

Grrrrr.... Who knew it was going to be this difficult?! I'm pretty sure I at least got the glue sticks right. 

So after such a frustrating morning, we treated ourselves to lunch at the food court. My youngest wanted McDonald's (no surprise). 

I have had numerous friends ask me if the menu is any different from the American one. In truth, it's pretty much the same with the exception of the biscuit (the English muffin reigns supreme here) & the typical regional items (there's no Homestyle Burger, etc). 

But I did notice two other little differences today. There are no "Mightly Kids Meals" ... only one size "kids meal" & they do have a regional "burger" called the McArabia. 


Huh. It doesn't look like more than a double meat burger but with the bun replaced by a pita. I haven't tried it. 

So, with our bellies full of greasy goodness, it was off to a new mall that we've never visited before. Only a short drive away is the World Trade Center Mall & Souk. 

It took us two full cycles around the mall to find one of the entrances to the underground parking. Nothing is labeled very well so we completely missed the sign & garage entrance the first time. 

Parking underground is always an adventure, but a necessity if you don't want to return to a car of molten metal after your excursion. But it's hard for me to remember where I parked each time. (I am over 40 now.) So, I try to use technology rather than relying on my memory.... I take photos of my latest spot. 


Sometimes, the car parks are well labeled & even numbered... & then there's times like this. Two or three rows had this same sign. Oh boy... Cross your fingers. 

Once we found our way inside, I was throughly impressed. The Mall is huge with several familiar stores & several regional ones. It's four stories tall, not counting the parking areas. & it covers more than one city block. But it doesn't "feel" huge when you are walking it. It actually feels... intimate. 

There is no shortage of technology, either, as evidenced by the interactive mall directory. 


All the directories are touch screens! The map at the top has a "you are here" dot. The bottom of the screen works like a file list. You can "search" for a specific store by category or name. In addition, a thin strip in the middle allows you to click on icons for restrooms, escalators, elevators, prayer rooms, parking access elevators, taxi stands, etc. The map will then start at the "you are here" dot & SHOW you (via animation) the closest route to your choice. 

Awesome!!! We could have played with the directory for hours!!! 

I pulled the kids away from the directory & we headed over to the attached Souk. The Souk has more traditional arts, crafts, perfumes, gold, & jewelry. It also has local spice traders. It's an amazing place. 


There are no live camels, but they would have been right at home. I'll definitely come back when I don't have so many little people "helping" me shop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment