Tuesday, August 26, 2014

"Nacho" regular dinner....

Apparently, once a month the hotel throws a themed dinner night. Tonight was THE night! 

It's a pretty big deal no matter what the theme because it means a major variation from the typical steam table fare. Invitations are slipped under all the doors at the hotel & people actually show up early to watch the staff put together the final touches on the decorations. 

Tonight the theme was.... Wait for it.... Mexican food!!! 

The staff decorated the cafe with cut outs....


... and were even sporting ponchos & sombreros! Ole!!

I have to admit, I was pretty excited. It's been almost 4 weeks since I've had even a fast food taco much less honest to goodness Tex-Mex! Ahhhh, the thought of sizzling fajitas, gooey bubbling cheese, tangy guacamole.... & my favorite, the spinach enchilada. Goodness, it makes my mouth water. 

But, let's be honest.... I'm a looooong way from home; I should probably lower my expectations a bit. So, it was with cautious optimism that I approached the steam table.


The chef had prepared a kind of burrito buffet. To be honest, it reminded me of a Freebird's burrito restraunt.... an assemble-it-yourself Freebird's, if you will.  You had your overly large tortilla, choice of seasoned chicken or beef, & "green" rice (which turned out to be white rice with an excessive amount of cilantro). 

THEN you had "toppings" which ranged from cold corn relish salad to Pace picante sauce... with the typical shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole, pickled jalapeños, etc.

I had to giggle a little at their cheese offerings. Look closely at the yellow stuff in the first bowl after the chips. This is the "Nacho bar" complete with that nacho cheese that comes in the giant can... you know, the one at the consession stand of every football game? 


Yeah, well that's the yellow stuff in the little bowl. Straight out of the can! They didn't heat it up... at all! LOL! Oh, & those chips? Not a crystal of salt on them! 

All in all, I give them a 10 for effort. The food was tasty, just not flavored like any Mexican or Tex-Mex I've ever had before. We had a good time & did enjoy the desserts; their Tres Leche cake was fabulous!

My girls had a great time visiting with the other kids & hamming it up for photos. 



But, at the end of the day... I'm still craving spinach enchiladas. I wonder if I can find a good recipe online? 




No comments:

Post a Comment